Sunday, June 18, 2006

INCA TRAIL: DAY 1
We snapped a photo at the start of the trail (Km 82), had our passports and tickets checked/stamped and we were off! Miguel had a day pack with a first aid kit (including oxygen), Jared and Jon had day backpacks, I had a shoulder bag and a carrier for a water bottle and Anika was free. The porters went ahead to check-in separately and would run ahead to the lunch spot to set up and cook lunch before we arrived.

About water: Peruvians who live along the trail and at the campsites sell water, gatorade and snacks. This lasts until Day 3. Then you are on your own until you reach Machu Picchu. It was overpriced but worth it (for us at least) to purchase bottled water and even better, gatorade.

The hike started off at 8,528 feet elevation: nice and easy, some climbs, but okay. We passed a beautiful ruin in the shape of a snake - Llactapata– one of my favorite out of the entire trek. The Incas have three gods, each representing a different world. The condor is the sky, puma is the earth and snake is the underworld.


Lunch, like all the meals from Q’ente, is amazing for camp food. We show up and they have a dining tent set up with table and chairs, a three or four course meal, water and soap and towels to wash our hands and face, etc. Then the porters pack everything up when we leave and run ahead to have everything set up for dinner and sleeping when we get to the night camp. Amazing!

In the afternoon, we started to climb higher and my breathing started to get very problematic. Miguel told me to slow my pace and take big steps but slowly and that helped immensely. It changed the way I will hike forever. I could go much longer without taking breaks because my breath remained under control - I didn't have to use my inhalers at all.
Camp was made at Huayllabamba, which is at around 9,600 feet.

The four of us at the end of Day 1.

No comments: