Wednesday, July 26, 2006

FINAL THOUGHTS
So, if I would do it over again, what would I do? Would I do anything differently?

Sure…

I don’t regret the hike one bit – I highly recommend it to anyone and everyone. I am very proud I did it and I firmly believe that the hikers get more out of Machu Picchu than the typical visitor. I’m so glad we arrived on June 21st – it was worth the extra coordination to be there on that special day. It was such a thrill.

I do regret getting sick, but you can’t control or forsee that. I would have still done everything – I would have just packed even more American pharmaceutical drugs that I did.

I would have recommended that Anika and Jon skipped the hike, or instead, have done the 2 day, 9 mile Royal Inca Trail hike. She could have done that one, still saw Machu Picchu and not have gotten so sick. I still feel horrible that they suffered so much, paid so much money, and never saw MP. So I wish something could have been done about that. But none of us knew that she would get so sick, even when she was taking the altitude pills.

I wish I shopped more. I decided to shop in Cusco after the trail, but by then, we were sick and coming home early. I wanted to bring back art, textiles and chocolate.

I wish I could have gone to a church service at a local church in Cusco or Lima.

I loved Peru and I’m so glad we visited it. Even though we got sick, we had an incredible time. I hope we go there again – there is still so much to see and do and the people are just beautiful. Next time, I’ll probably take the train to MP, but who knows, maybe I’ll hike it again.

Gracias Peru.

No comments: